“It’s not what you know, but WHO you know”
Although this saying/phrase can be annoying, I’ve personally found it to be very true since graduating.
Networking is powerful in many different ways, it’s about finding opportunities to interact with others. Networking is not only important in the business world, but it’s also important that you network as a student.
Many students seem to avoid networking, but joining student societies or volunteering are brilliant ways to network and meet new people.
The benefits of networking
- You can share information and expand your knowledge
- Develop professional and social contacts
- The more networking events you attend, the more people will recognise you
- You’ll come across new, exciting opportunities
- It will increase your confidence! The more you network, the easier it becomes to make conversation
Important things to remember
- Do your research beforehand, especially if you have an idea of who’s attending
- Take some business cards with you. Whether you’re networking to represent a company or yourself as a student, it’s a good idea to have some cards ready to hand out
- Some business owners will have problems or issues within their business that need solving, you might be able to help them!
- Connect on social media with the people you’ve met, afterwards
Local networking events in Sheffield
The list I’ve created is a mixture of business or more personal networking events. I’ve attended the majority of these and met some brilliant people. If you’re not local to Sheffield, you can find your local networking events by doing a quick Google search for your local area.
Third Sector Café – A collaboration hub where people from charities, voluntary sector, social enterprises and other not for profits can get together
The Yorkshire Mafia – They hold a variety of events across Yorkshire, which are sometimes held in Sheffield
The WI – Use their website to find where your nearest group meets each month. There’s 10 groups based in Sheffield
The Network – Senior decision-makers attend their monthly meetings, which are held in a variety of locations across Sheffield
NetWalking – Netwalking is a free, fresh air networking event that takes places on the 3rd Friday of every month at 9am, in Sheffield’s Encliffe Park’s Café. It’s brilliant and Faye is lovely!
There are many networking events across Sheffield. If you would like your event to be listed here, please feel free to leave a comment on this post.